New features for BlackBerry Ltd.’s proprietary instant messaging service BBM provides users with more privacy and control over the way they chat and share information on their mobile devices.
The features enable users to communicate with more discretion and freedom,” a statement from the Canadian smart phone company said.
“These capabilities will allow our users to be more creative in how they deliver their messages while also being confident that their content is kept private and seen only by it intended recipients,” said John Sims, president of global enterprise services at BlackBerry.
The features are:
- Timed Messages — This allows users to set a timer that controls how long messages and pictures they share with contacts can be viewed within BBM. The message also remains hidden until the recipient touches and holds on the chat. Once the set time has expired, or if the recipient takes their finger off the screen, the message is no longer visible. The sender of the message receives a notification if BBM detects that the recipient has taken a screenshot of the image or message.
- Message Retraction –BBM users can now “retract” their messages and remove it from their BBM chat. This can be done before a recipient has read the message and even after the message has been read
- HD image — When users receive a picture in BBM you can switch to a high definition version of that image
- Faster Sticker selection — BlackBerry has made is easier to browse for BBM stickers and to add them to chats
- Music — Users can now find out what music their BBM contacts are listening to and they can also show contacts what music they are listening to. This feature lets iPhone users get connected to iTunes in order to seamlessly purchases songs
(Click on the image below to watch the video)
BlackBerry has provided a three month grace period where in Time Messages and Message Retraction will be available for free. After that, these premium features become part of a broader bundle of features that will be offered on a subscription basis.
The features announced today will be available for download for BlackBerry 10, iPhones and Android smart phones by installing the latest BBM updates from BlackBerry World, Apple App Store and Google Play.