IT World Canada (ITWC) was recognized across several of its digital publications and in multiple categories at the Canadian Online Publishing Awards (COPAs) held on Thursday night in downtown Toronto.
ITWC won five gold awards and two silver awards on the night, and was a finalist across 12 different categories. Golds won include line-of-business site ITBusiness.ca for Best News Coverage, Computer Dealer News for Best Use of Social Media, Computing Canada for Best Digital Publication, CIO Census for Best Online Campaign, and the Canadian Channel Chiefs Association for Best Video Ad.
“I am very proud of the ITWC team that has not only ridden out the digital transformation storm, but has also emerged as winners in all digital categories!” says Fawn Annan, president of ITWC. “Congratulations to the best team we’ve ever assembled.”
ITWC’s video team was recognized in both the Best Video Ad category as well as in other projects that involved video as one of many multimedia elements in a digital presentation, such as the CIO Census.
“With video being such an important part of online content, we set out to build the best video team in the country,” says Jim Love, CIO of ITWC. “That hard work has paid off. Our video productions are informative, great looking and yes – entertaining.”
First held in 2009, the COPAs bring together both old and new media to recognize the best in online content publishing in Canada. Media publishers, corporations, and marketers compete for awards that are divided into three categories – consumer-targeted publications and campaigns, news media, and business-to-business publications, where ITWC is a contender.
“The team at CDN was excited to learn about the COPA award victory. The COPA award is one of the most prestigious in our industry and CDN is just delighted to be a part of it. CDN has put a lot of effort into our social media strategy and to be recognized by COPA as the 2014 Best Use of Social Media award winner validates the commitment and energy put forth by our team,” said Paolo Del Nibletto, editor of CDN – Computer Dealer News, Canada’s No. 1 IT channel publication and Web site.
“There’s nothing more important to us than providing value to the communities of IT executives we serve, and we try to do that in many different ways – digital magazines, videos, and in-depth research,” says Shane Schick, chief content officer at ITWC. “This recognition from the Canadian Online Publishing Awards is a wonderful validation of that effort and a testimony to the team that makes it possible.”
Here’s a complete list of ITWC’s awards received last night:
- ITBusiness.ca won gold for the “Best News Coverage” category. The winning entry was a collection of articles from our ongoing coverage of Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) and its impact on businesses. ITBusiness.ca also won a silver in the “Best Website Design” category.
- Computer Dealer News won gold for the “Best Use of Social Media” category. Our Twitter chat about helping customers migrate away from Windows XP as it reached the end of support date involved participation from several of Canada’s top Microsoft partners, security vendors, and Microsoft Canada. The chat reached trending in Canada status on Twitter.
- ITWC nabbed both the gold and the silver awards in the “Best Digital Publication for Desktop and Tablet” category. Computing Canada won gold for its November 2013 issue, with feature story The Promise of SDN. CanadianCIO achieved silver for it June 2013 issue featuring Metrics that Matter Now.
- Our video production for non-profit Canadian Channel Chiefs Association won gold for the “Best Video Ad” category.
- Our CIO Census project won gold for the “Best Online Campaign” category. Our effort to poll Canadian CIOs from across the country culminated in a final report on the opportunities and challenges identified by these technical leaders, and the results were represented with graphs, videos, and text on an adaptive design website.
ITWC wants to thank the COPAs for the recognition and its community of readers for their support.