The Top 25 Newsmakers of 2006 – Number 13: Palm Michael Moskowitz

Palm’s decision to partner with Microsoft was nothing short of historic for the IT industry.

As the face of Palm in Canada, Michael Moskowitz’s mandate was to execute this new direction.

With the title of vice-president of the Americas, he has more than Canada to worry over.

Palm’s new direction is to bridge the gap between business and consumer products, Moskowitz said.

“Differentiation is absolutely key,” he said in an interview earlier this year. “The next step for us is expanding the addressable market.” Palm will attempt to replicate its business strategy outside of the U.S. and partner with global operators. Where Microsoft was once a competitor, it’s now a partner.

One of the main keys to this partnership is that there are more than 130 million Microsoft Exchange users around the world, and Palm’s Treo 700wx will provide access to all Microsoft applications. Since only 10 per cent of Exchange users access e-mail wirelessly, said Moskowitz, the addressable market is the other 90 per cent.

Canada is one of the fastest growing markets for converged mobile devices, said Moskowitz, and in 2007 they will outpace the sale of handsets. Palm expects 25 per cent growth here.

Would you recommend this article?


Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think of this article!
We'd love to hear your opinion about this or any other story you read in our publication.

Jim Love, Chief Content Officer, IT World Canada

Featured Download

Related Tech News

Featured Tech Jobs


CDN in your inbox

CDN delivers a critical analysis of the competitive landscape detailing both the challenges and opportunities facing solution providers. CDN's email newsletter details the most important news and commentary from the channel.