No, Hewlett-Packard is not talking about backing up your corporate data to Facebook. However, the company is rolling out a line-up of adaptive backup and recovery solutions that leverages social media technologies to help data centre teams better share and collaborate on backup policies and analytics data.
The three new solutions are the HP Backup Navigator, the HP Data Protector Management Pack and the updated HP Data Protector 9.0. HP Backup Navigator and HP Data Protector Management Pack are available now.HP Data Protector 9.0 is expected to be available next month.
With unprecedented data volumes, a wide diversity of data formats an increasingly mobile workforce and widespread adoption of cloud computing, traditional backup solution are no longer enough, according to David Jones, general manager of enterprise data protection at HP Autonomy.
“Traditional approaches to data protection no longer fits today’s data centres,” he said. “HP autonomy is reinventing the data protection market by putting to work out strengths – including deep analytics, collaboration, enterprise, cloud and mobility capabilities – resulting in a backup offering that transforms the data centre from a reactive to a proactive operation.”
HP Backup Navigator – Allows data centre teams to connect, collaborate and share analytical insights. HP says it is the first data protection tool based on in-depth operational analytics that allow for effective navigation of an organization’s backup landscape.
Its key features include:
• Dynamic, interactive “drill down” graphical dashboard powered by real-time operational analytics deliver actionable insight to historical, current and future performance
• Collaborative, enhanced social media capabilities and automated report creation and sharing allows different teams of data center administrators within an organization to automatically share their backup policies and analytics dashboards. Other team members can then respond by marking as a favorite or sharing other related dashboards and reports
• Real-time, predictive analytics enable businesses to anticipate issues
• Extensive backward compatibility for previous versions of HP Data Protector means this tool can be immediately leveraged across the HP Data Protector global customer base
HP Data Protector Management Pack – This is an alert and event management tool with plug-in support for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager enables organizations to centrally monitor and report on the health, performance and availability of the entire HP Data Protector environment.
This product enables IT administrators to:
• Perform discovery and topology presentation of the entire HP Data Protector infrastructure.
• Visually check the status of all the clients and devices within the environment.
• Get alerts and notifications and proactively take actions to resolve issues in the backup environment.
HP Data Protector 9.0 – Enhancement that build upon HP’s flagship adaptive, self-aware backup and recovery solution to:
• Support the integration with HP Storage and the next-generation federated deduplication capabilities of HP StoreOnce Backup Systems
• Offer rapid recovery of VMware vSphere virtual disks through the new SmartCache feature, saving time and resources and improving administration agility
• Secure backup workloads in dynamic environments through encryption, protecting deduped data in flight and at rest
• Support EMC’s family of storage offerings with native support for EMC Data Domain Boost
“The predictive analytics capability of HP Backup Navigator gives us the the ability to easily perform capacity planning and improved ultilization of our HP Data Protector environment,” said Ryan Burgess, manager, information technology services, for BlueShore Financial. “This enables us to take the guesswork out of the planning process and significantly reduce operational cost.”